random thought of the day - a progress bar for tree transforms ?

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Thu Feb 16 01:31:13 GMT 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 16:17 -0800, Robey Pointer wrote:
> On 15 Feb 2006, at 15:11, John A Meinel wrote:

> Yeah, it's just using terminal_width() from my previous patch.  To
> cope with window resizing on posix involves catching SIGWINCH and
> having that handler tell any current ProgressBar to change its
> width.  And if you're making the window smaller, you'll still get a
> garbage line.  It ain't curses. :)  (In fact, I'm not sure it's worth
> doing.  Do we really care if a user changes their console window size
> during a bzr operation?)

Yes. I think that the terminal width should be set when bzr starts up
and maintained in bzrlib.ui as a global state variable or perhaps as a
singleton of some sort... Then SIGWINCH changes will be reflected
immediately.

> > Also, why is it that you don't resize the parent back to full width
> > after a child has shown up. Is that intentional or accidental? I
> > can see
> > a reason for it, I was just wondering what you were thinking.
>
> It disoriented me to have the progress bar grow and shrink a lot, so
> I intentionally forced it to stick with the smaller size once it has
> shown a 2nd bar.  (Otherwise, in the case where you have a top-level
> "update" bar and frequent 2nd-level "get" bars, the "update" bar
> would constantly grow and shrink.)  I think maybe it should even stay
> at the smaller size from start to finish.  Progress bars that change
> size bother me at some level.

Yeah, I put in special machinery to the test-pb stuff I just did to stop
it resizing the [...] bit when the text changed.

Rob