[RFC] cryptographic signatures - compared to monotone?

James Blackwell jblack at merconline.com
Tue Feb 14 11:53:41 GMT 2006

On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 09:00:26AM +0000, Magnus Therning wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 07:50:15AM +0100, Jan Hudec wrote:
> >On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 16:15:52 +0200, Jari Aalto wrote:
> >>
> >> I've noticed that there are are many new exiting fetures proposed and
> >> being discussed. Many new commands and options and the like.
> >>
> >> Perhaps the developers are already thinking about this, but I feel
> >> that the design should take into account the cryptographic signatures
> >> along with proposed new functionality.
> >
> >Alrady implemented. For quite some time IIRC.
> >
> >See http://wiki.bazaar.canonical.com/ConfiguringBzr for how to set it
> >up.
>
> How do I make a branch require signatures? (I.e. so that
> "create_signatures=when-required" is triggered.)

You can locally require the creation of signatures for any or all branches
on your local machine. I am aware of no way to check the signatures that
have been made.

 If you want all new commits to all branches you commit to be signed, then
 add the following option to ~/.bazaar/bazaar.conf (example):

[DEFAULT]
check_signatures=require

 If you want to sign all new commits for a specific branch then add this to
 the appropriate branch stanza in .bazaar/branches.conf:

[/home/jblack/test]
check_signatures=require

No, this is not a typo. This is verified behaviour.
            ~~~~~~~~~~

Use check_signatures if you wish to indicate you wish to make signatures
when you commit. As far as I can tell the config option
"create_signatures" does nothing. I'll leave it for someone else to define
what the behaviour of this config option is.

I have no idea why things are this way.  Lifeless and I spun in circles
for about an hour because I just couldn't grok that he was trying to say
that check_signatures is used to indicate 'sign my commits' and that
create_signatures does nothing.

I'll be happily update the http://bazaar.canonical.com/ConfiguringBzr to
reflect current behaviours.

Regards,
James

--
My home page:   <a href="http://jblack.linuxguru.net">James Blackwell</a>
Gnupg 06357400  F-print AAE4 8C76 58DA 5902 761D  247A 8A55 DA73 0635 7400