Repository referencing in command lines

John A Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Sat Feb 11 14:15:45 GMT 2006

Matthew D. Fuller wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 11, 2006 at 06:11:43AM -0600 I heard the voice of
> Matthew D. Fuller, and lo! it spake thus:
>> If the two pieces are slapped together in one chain like that, it
>> becomes harder (mentally, if not programmatically) to refer to just
>> a single piece.
>
> Actually, this may be the best functional description of my real
> issue.  If the repository is easily guessable (the same repository as
> the branch I'm currently in is in, or the repository specified in
> $BZR_REPO, or such), I want to refer to branches in it directly by
> name.  URL syntax makes that a little sticky programmatically, and
> VERY sticky mentally.
>
> The other side, where "bzr get http://bazaar-ng.org/bzr/bzr.dev" could
> mean a standalond branch at /bzr/bzr.dev, or a branch called bzr.dev
> in a repository at /bzr; I think I care a less about the ambiguity
> there.

Except how do you mix working with a repository, with working without a
repository. I suppose you could just introduce a resolution order. But I
think when we did this with Arch, it was found to be worse to have paths
sometimes mean inside the archive (repository), and sometimes be local
paths.

For example:

bzr get foo.bar

Are you referencing a local directory (which may not exist), or are you
referencing the repository.

Once you run that command, you would end up with a 'foo.bar' directory
in the local filesystem (since you just did a get).

I think you are expecting to always work with repositories. But I think
people will mix standalone branches with repositories. (I think long
term I want to mix repos with repos. So I have a local repo, which is
bound to a remote repo, and checkouts in my working directory. And then
when I branch in my local repo, it would be nice to branch in the remote
one so that the new branch is also published).

I think the idea here is that you shouldn't really need to know if there
is a repository, or just a bunch of standalone branches.
Browse over to:
http://bzr.arbash-meinel.com/mirrors/

I would request that you not download too much from there, since it is
just my home server. But that is my 'repository' of mirrors of different
peoples bzr branches. Obviously right now I'm just doing it with
standalone branches (and hard-linking the weaves when I can).

bzr lets me define whatever namespace I want, and I like that. And I can
cd into the directory and use ls/find to look for branches that I care
about (or browse for it, if I was on a remote connection.)