Versioned metadata

Jan Hudec bulb at ucw.cz
Sat Feb 11 13:40:18 GMT 2006

On Sat, Feb 11, 2006 at 13:03:16 +1100, Martin Pool wrote:
> On 10 Feb 2006, Jan Hudec <bulb at ucw.cz> wrote:
>
> > > That sounds OK - but what will happen if there is a conflict?  Should we
> > > ask the user to resolve them?  Ideally there would be some way for the
> > > code managing the property to intervene.
> >
> > That's why I said above the property will have a method to merge itself.
> > There will be some base implementation, but each property needs to amend it
> > with appropriate conflict handling.
>
> Yes, I agree having special handlers would be good.  How do you imagine
> the UI should look for a conflict in the ignore list in particular, say?

In particular I think ignore will not produce conflicts, because it does not
consider context -- or expressed in another way, patterns are not replaced,
but added and deleted only. So if base is a, one branch is b and the other c,
that result is bc.

Conflict is when a property ends up having multiple values when it can only
have one (per entry). It will be reported, getting the property will list all
the values and setting it will fix the problem.

> > Well, I am thinking about this:
> > For user, they look like whole-path globs from root. However internaly
> > a prefix which does not contain globs and names an inventory entry would be
> > replaced by that entry id. So that prefix would get replaced when user
> > renames that entry. So the above would be stored as:
> > id-of-the-arch-entry:*/*.lo
> > which the user would never see, but when he renames arch to something, the
> > glob automagically renames too.
>
> And all of this would be in a property on the root directory?

No. Properties are always tree-wide. A per-entry property is a tree-wide
property whose values are tuples of entry ids and values. At least that's my
final thought and reason for it is, that existing merge code can be utilized.

--
						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb at ucw.cz>