small corrections to Bazaar-NG Tutorial

James Blackwell jblack at merconline.com
Mon Feb 6 17:42:05 GMT 2006

On Sun, Feb 05, 2006 at 04:13:49PM +0100, Ludo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just read the Bazaar-NG tutorial
> (http://bazaar-ng.org/tutorial.html), and found a few mistakes, 6 to
> be exact (typos mostly). Thought I'd post them here, as the document
> ask for corrections. Some "corrections" may be a bit nitpicking, feel
> free to ignore them of course :-)

I, James David Blackwell, of sound mind and poor speling, hereby give Ludo
both the right and reponsibility to report or fix all spelling mistakes
within in documentation.  Well, unless you're a grey vs. gray sort.

> Anyway, here goes:
>
> 1) Near the end of the part "How DRCS is different" there's this
> sentence: "For example, with Bazaar-NG developer can take the
> modifications in one branch of software and apply them". It should
> 'developers'.

Nice catch. I see your typo and will raise you one grammar error:

    "For example, with Bazaar-NG, developers can..."

TBH, I should just rewrite the whole sentence. I think starting a sentence
with "For" is a bad grammar. =)

> 2) Near the top of "Introducing yourself to Bazaar-NG" there's this
> sentence: ""One function of a version control system is to keep track
> ". Previously, it has always  been referred to as a RCS instead of a
> VCS. Not sure of this is intentional, but maybe it's better to stick
> to the same name, to avoid confusion.

Good catch.

> 3) Next, in the same section, thee methodes are listed to change the
> e-mail address. However, they're all preceded by the item number "1.",
> instead of "1.", "2." & "3.".

Ok. In that case the wiki markup has failed. Probably all that needs to be
done is that each "1." should be preceeded by a space. The numbering can
alternatively be done manually by not spacing and putting proper numbers.
its up to ou.

> 4) The second paragraph In the part "Creating a branch" has this
> sentence: "As for CVS, there are three classes of file: unknown,
> ignored, and versioned.". I think it should be: "As with CVS, [...]",
> because "As for CVS" implies that you're going to talk about CVS now.

I'd have to read this in context. I don't have the wiki available to me at
this particular moment.

> 5) The part "Message from an editor" contains this sentence: "The
> editor to run is controlled by your $EDITOR environment variable or
> (Post Bazaar-NG 0.6) email setting in ."
> email setting in what? (Also, to be 100% correct, it should be
> "e-mail" (i.e. with a dash ;-)), but that's nitpicking heh.)

If you think "e-mail" helps with readibility...

> 6) The part "Removing uncommitted changes" contains this sentence:
> "It's a good idea to use bzr diff first to see what will be removed."
> I think "removed" is not accurate here, as things could be added as
> well... So maybe "reverted" is a better word. But of course it's
> totally understandable that way as well...

Excellent catch. Again, I'm not quite sure of the context, but perhaps
something like

Perhaps..
    Running 'bzr status' prior to running 'bzr revert' is generally a good
    idea as you can figure out what changes are about to be thrown away.

--
My home page:   <a href="http://jblack.linuxguru.net">James Blackwell</a>
Gnupg 06357400  F-print AAE4 8C76 58DA 5902 761D  247A 8A55 DA73 0635 7400