Is bzr *appropriate* and *ready* for me?

Matthieu Moy Matthieu.Moy at imag.fr
Mon Feb 6 04:21:14 GMT 2006

jorges <jorgesmbox-ml at yahoo.es> writes:

> 	1. Do I need to switch from subversion?

If you have no strong need, and if you're happy with subversion, I'd
suggest keeping subversion for a while. The model is probably
inferior, but it's mature, well tested, ...

On the distributed revision control side, you have roughly two
categories: "old" ones like GNU Arch, which are complex to learn, so
they're nice when you know them, but I wouldn't recommand learning
them right now, and th "next generation", like mercurial, bzr, all the
stuff related to git. They're usually both simple and very powerfull,
but still in active development, evolving quickly. This means they
will all be excellent tools within a few months, but might need an
effort to use right now. For example, you have no strong guarantee
that you'll be able to use version n+1 exactly as you were using
version n (simply because if someone finds a design flaw in version n,
it should be fixed in n+1, which might require changing the user
interface, or the storage format).

So, at least, you'll have to upgrade to each intermediate version, and
look at the changes from one version to another (unlike subversion,
for which you can take the version bundled with your distro, and
upgrade next year for example).

So:

If you're curious, and willing to follow the evolution, switch away
from subversion.

If you just want a tool that suits your needs, come back in, say, 6
months.

--
Matthieu