Config for branch, not in branch

Jan Hudec bulb at ucw.cz
Sun Feb 5 09:43:54 GMT 2006

On Sat, Feb 04, 2006 at 12:15:48 -0600, John A Meinel wrote:
> Jan Hudec wrote:
> > Note, that the section name in ~/.bazaar/bazaar.conf is a *GLOB*. So if
> > you always call foo branches foo.<something> and bar branches
> > bar.<something>, you simply set the emails as:
> >
> > [*/foo.*]
> > email = me at foo.org
> > [*/bar.*]
> > email = me at bar.org
> >
> > Of course, adapt to your naming convention.
> >
> > Note that the patterns are currently rather simplistic (* matches
> > absolutely anything) and that it might be changed to behave more
> > shell-like (* not matching / and initial . - **/ will then match any
> > path).
> >

> I would like to see bzr standardize its glob mechanism. So when your
> glob stuff makes it in, it should be used anywhere we expand globs.
>
> The problem with the above though, is that our Config work doesn't
> inherit rules. So doing:
>
> [*/bar.*]
> email = me at bar.org
>
> [some/special/path/bar.foo]
> commit = --strict
>
> # At this point you have lost the 'email=me at bar.org' in bar.foo.

The new glob engine will require users to modify their configs anyway, so we
can change the combining semantics at the same time.

> I'm not sure what the best thing to do is. But it is something that
> messes things up when you do "bzr push somewhere", because that creates
> a new entry for this exact directory, which means that any pattern
> matched configuration is lost. (that is a really bad side-effect of the
> current push implementation.)

Actually, it lives in a different file - ~/.bazaar/branches.conf. A file that
should IMHO (and I seem not to be alone) go away and the data should be moved
to .bzr. This data need to combine with ~/.bazaar/bazaar.conf

--
						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb at ucw.cz>