bazaar-ng 0.7 released

Jari Aalto jari.aalto at cante.net
Tue Jan 24 06:08:21 GMT 2006

John Arbash Meinel <john at arbash-meinel.com> writes:
>>>	BZR_HOME
>>>	if sys.platform == 'win32':
>>>		APPDATA
>>>		HOME
>>>	else:
>>>		os.path.expanduser('~')
>> 1) native Win32 bzr
>>
>> => Use BZR_HOME, APPDATA
>>
>> 2) Cygwin bzr
>>
>> => Use BZR_HOME, HOME
>>
>>     http://www.windowsitlibrary.com/Content/435/06/6.html
>>
>>     HOMEPATH, HOMEDRIVE, HOMESHARE: These three environment variables are
>>     set based on the value of the home directory. The user's home
>>     directory is specified in User Manager (in the Profile section). If
>>     the home directory uses universal naming conventions (UNC), then they
>>     will have the following values: HOMESHARE=\\<server name>\<share
>>     name>, HOMEPATH=\<path>, and HOMEDRIVE=<drive letter>:
>>
>> Which would suggest case (1) becoming:
>>
>> => $BZR_HOME, $HOMESHARE, $HOMEDRIVE + $HOMEPATH, APPDATA
>
> I don't think most applications on windows put their settings into
> $HOMESHARE, it is more where they default to putting user documents. So
> we might use it if we allow '~' in something like bazaar.conf, but I
> don't think we should look for the Bazaar configuration files there.

In education, classrooms, the $HOMESHARE is the only place where to
put the data. The Profiles are locked, so that class room PC's aren't
compromised. Even user's changes in environment do not last when he
logs out.

If I were to use bzr in classroom, I would like it to "sniff around"
to determine what is the correct location of configuration files.

Howabout this (win32 native bzr):

     $BZR_HOME                  - if set
     $HOMESHARE\.bzr.conf\      - if exists, assume HOMESHARE as "HOME"

     ($HOMEDRIVE + $HOMEPATH)\.bzr.conf\
                                - if exists, assume ... as "HOME"
     $APPDATA                   - ... or else

In Cygwin, this is no problem, because Cygwin initialises itself
from /etc/profiles where the needed code to set HOME intelligently
can be defined for classrooms.

Jari