storage branch - remaining issues?

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Thu Jan 19 22:12:20 GMT 2006

Robert Collins wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-01-19 at 10:53 -0600, John A Meinel wrote:
>

>>Other than having the logic about how to decode a string (whether it is
>>a url, or a path) in another place, which then needs to be used
>>everywhere we might get a path.
>>
>>For example, I don't think '.' is a valid url. Which means if we want
>>urls everywhere, then 'Branch.open_containing()' shouldn't be passed '.'.
>

> As Denys says, '.' is valid, as is '..' and 'foo%14'. u'foo\x14' is not
> a valid URL though.
>
> They are valid because we have an absolute URL we can interpret them
> with respect to - the os's current working directory converted to a URL.
>
> Rob

I thought '..' was not allowed in urls.

I don't really care. I feel like the Transport layer is a nice
centralized location where paths go through. Which means they can
interpret the path, and everyone else can consider it a voodoo string.

I would like to have the conversion earlier, but there are a lot of
entry points (every command would convert it's own args as appropriate,
etc).

We could make Branch.open* be the conversion point, but if we are that
deep, it is only 1 more step to get to Transport, since the first thing
open() does is get_transport()