an interesting failure of the test suite (and now I am stuck)

John A Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Wed Jan 18 14:05:00 GMT 2006

Denys Duchier wrote:
> Denys Duchier <duchier at ps.uni-sb.de> writes:
>
>> I don't know what to do about this (I know I really should change ISP).
>
> answering my own question (in case it can also be useful to someone else):
>
> $ hostx kjqsdqsdjqksd 80.10.246.1
> kjqsdqsdjqksd           A       62.210.183.75
> kjqsdqsdjqksd           TXT     "NXDOMAIN"
>
> $ hostx kjqsdqsdjqksd 80.10.246.2
> kjqsdqsdjqksd does not exist at dns-abo-static-a.wanadoo.fr, try again
>
> I don't know what game they're playing.
>
> --Denys

So they are extra nasty. I have a wildcard DNS entry, so
*.arbash-meinel.com resolves (and since I'm in the domain, it tries to
resolve asdfaksdjflaksdjfla.arbash-meinel.com). However, I don't pretend
that it is a valid page. (Which is why we check for NoSuchFile as well
as ConnectionError).

They do give you a valid page back.

The invalid subdomain doesn't work either (as you saw). Because if host
'foo' doesn't work, it tries 'foo.domain', regardless of what 'foo' is.
(Though invalid.bazaar-ng.org.arbash-meinel.com does look a little funny :)

I don't really know what to say, other than that test will always fail
for you.
hmmm....