[win32] bzr.exe launcher (part2). Help needed!

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Tue Jan 17 20:00:19 GMT 2006

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> John A Meinel wrote:
>

>>However, I have to wonder what is wrong with:
>>http://www.py2exe.org/
>>
>>I've used it for a lot of projects. I believe it works with a
>>precompiled executable, and creates a zip file of the source code. Which
>>python can handle just fine, since it natively supports zip-file source
>>repositories.
>

> exemaker and py2exe are two different things; exemaker simply creates a
> custom executable that's used *instead* of python.exe.  When you run that
> EXE, it locates a suitable Python DLL and uses that to run a script with the
> same name as the EXE.
>

>>I don't think it requires a compiler to work. Though I may be wrong,
>>since I've always had one.
>

> exemaker doesn't need a compiler; I have no idea why Alexander thinks that
> he needs to build a custom version.  Making the BZR scripts exemaker-com-
> patible should be trivial.
>
> fwiw, I posted an exemaker-based wrapper generator last year:
>
>     http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.bazaar-ng.general/313
>
> (that 30-lines-plus-data tool creates a bzr.exe/bzr.py pair that loads the actual
> bzr code from a bzr.zip archive.  it probably needs some tweaking to work with
> recent versions of bzr.)
>
> </F>

You posted that a long time ago. You actually posted it before I started
reading the mailing list (by 1 month).

Thanks for reposting. Though gmane seems to have a double copy of the
text. Any idea why? Is there more than one script? If you don't mind
reposting the script, it would be nice.

I'm also thinking that we could gzip the contents of EXEMAKER, since
python come with gzip decompression, and there seems to be a whole lot
of duplicated characters, making the binary string longer than it needs
to be.

Thanks,