[win32] bzr.exe launcher (part2). Help needed!

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Tue Jan 17 11:03:06 GMT 2006

John A Meinel wrote:

> However, I have to wonder what is wrong with:
> http://www.py2exe.org/
>
> I've used it for a lot of projects. I believe it works with a
> precompiled executable, and creates a zip file of the source code. Which
> python can handle just fine, since it natively supports zip-file source
> repositories.

exemaker and py2exe are two different things; exemaker simply creates a
custom executable that's used *instead* of python.exe.  When you run that
EXE, it locates a suitable Python DLL and uses that to run a script with the
same name as the EXE.

> I don't think it requires a compiler to work. Though I may be wrong,
> since I've always had one.

exemaker doesn't need a compiler; I have no idea why Alexander thinks that
he needs to build a custom version.  Making the BZR scripts exemaker-com-
patible should be trivial.

fwiw, I posted an exemaker-based wrapper generator last year:

    http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.bazaar-ng.general/313

(that 30-lines-plus-data tool creates a bzr.exe/bzr.py pair that loads the actual
bzr code from a bzr.zip archive.  it probably needs some tweaking to work with
recent versions of bzr.)

</F>