moving branch nick recording out of Commit, into WorkingTree

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Tue Jan 17 11:16:24 GMT 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 17:30 +1100, Robert Collins wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 01:13 -0500, Aaron Bentley wrote:
> >
> > Robert Collins wrote:
> > | It should be possible to record commits with no branch nickname - not an
> > | empty one, a non existent one.
> >
> > I'm not sure I agree.  Could you expand on why?
>
> Well for the baz2bzr case, we can talk below. PQM is another case - it
> branches from a branch to make a branch to test and commit to and then
> pushes that back up. the path it branches to is a tempfile name, so the
> dir name is a bad heuristic; branch nicks are not copied by clone
> (IIRC). I can fix that by patching PQM - in fact I will... but it seems
> to me that nicks are an optional feature - and at the moment they are
> compulsory. If they are compulsory then I dont think nick should be a
> revision property, it should be a core feature.

I think this is a fairly good argument.

> > Wouldn't the arch version be a great branch nick?
>
> Possibly, which is a somewhat orthogonal discussion. I dont think its a
> great nick because of the while namespace problems in arch - the
> username is preserved in author, so the archive part is not terribly
> useful, the category is - but we dont seem to put category or an
> analagous thing in branch nicks today, the version field is often 0 for
> many users, and the branch name - well when its present we could use
> that I guess.

(For non-arch users, the 'category' is typically the project name, and
the 'branch' is typically an identifier for the branch, such as 'devel'
or the name of a feature or bug.)

Well, my branches tend to be called 'bzr.mbp.featurename', partly
because this gets all this information into the nick.  (And partly
because I tend to like such names in ~/work).  I think it would be
reasonable to put the arch version in - perhaps configurable by a
baz2bzr option for people who want to omit the archive name.

--
Martin