Refused files (Re: [rfc] Windows symlink support)

Jan Hudec bulb at ucw.cz
Mon Jan 16 07:47:16 GMT 2006

On Sun, Jan 15, 2006 at 20:11:07 -0600, John Arbash Meinel wrote:
> I think it would be nice to have a 'best-practises' support in bzr. So
> you can define some policies such as 'don't use symlinks', 'don't case
> fold', etc.
>
> But I would want that to be something people have to specifically
> enable, rather than getting in the way (tla got in the way a little too
> much).

Makes me think about adding zsh-style glob qualifiers to the is_ignore
globs. We would not need the whole zsh suite, just the filetypes.

Then we could add some more .bzrrefuse (for want of a better name) files
that would work like .bzringore, but matching files would be printed in
status in a separate category (unversionable?) and add would refuse to
add them.

Implementation-wise the filetype matching would be a bit complicated. It
would require to pass the filetype along with all entries to match.
Basically I'd decorate all filenames with a character describing their
type. It would have to be added to _all_ filenames, because there would
be no way to discriminate it otherwise. And the globs would compile with
.$ instead of just $ at the end, except if they have modifier, in which
case they'd match for the modifier.

--
						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb at ucw.cz>