any more sftp fixes?

Matthieu Moy Matthieu.Moy at imag.fr
Thu Dec 1 13:54:46 GMT 2005

John A Meinel <john at arbash-meinel.com> writes:

> The weakref was mostly a starting point. We had some problems where
> there were 2 paths to create a connection, and they weren't getting shared.

For example, "bzr push sftp://..." on an inexistant destination
directory was prompting the password 3 times. I had the problem with
the ftp transport opening 3 connexions and my ISP refusing more than 2
(I believe this was solved with a strong reference dictionary, which
should perhaps become a weak ref dictionary).

> Long term, I wanted bzrlib to keep some sort of reference, so that a
> front end could implement a longer-term caching policy. Such as keeping
> a timeout list so that after a period of inactivity (say 1min/60min
> whatever), they would be closed.

Perhaps a flag transforming the weakref dictionary into a strong ref
dictionary available from bzrlib would be interesting. "bzr" itself
would probably want to set this flag.

--
Matthieu