any more sftp fixes?

John A Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Thu Dec 1 13:46:45 GMT 2005

Robey Pointer wrote:

> On 30 Nov 2005, at 9:25, John A Meinel wrote:
>
>> I just merged all of my sftp fixes into my integration branch. Am I
>> missing any work that people have done?
>
> I just compared the jam-integration version of sftp.py with my local
> copy and the changes all look good, except for one missing line
> (mentioned below).
>
> I'm not sure the weakref system will work, though -- I'd pondered that
> before, but in tests with the python CLI, the weak values were going
> away as soon as the last "real" reference to them died.  If that's true
> generally, then the cache has an automatic expiration of zero seconds,
> making it a lot less useful. :)

The weakref was mostly a starting point. We had some problems where
there were 2 paths to create a connection, and they weren't getting shared.

Long term, I wanted bzrlib to keep some sort of reference, so that a
front end could implement a longer-term caching policy. Such as keeping
a timeout list so that after a period of inactivity (say 1min/60min
whatever), they would be closed.

Adding the weakref dictionary just means that bzrlib won't try to hold
onto them forever, but gives a place for other front-ends to acquire
them if it decides to create a different policy.