How to get the diff between two arbitrary remote revisions?

John A Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Wed Nov 16 23:18:53 GMT 2005

Jan Hudec wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 08:48:43 -0500, Aaron Bentley wrote:
>>
>> Jan Hudec wrote:

>>> It's not common. It only happens when you have a *PENDING* merge.
>> No, it also happens when you try to pull and have divergent branches.
>
> I had the impression, that pull will refuse to do that.

Pull actually fetches all the information, and stores it locally, so
that it can figure out whether it is allowed or not. You have to
actually look through the revision ancestry before you can know if a
pull is possible.

>> And there's also the fetch command.
>
> Ok, than it's possible and my impression was wrong.
>
>> Anyhow, having a pending merge is a common state.
>>
>>> Becase once you commit, they become ancestors of the current revision.
>> If you commit.  I often do test merges into into Robert's or Martin's
>> branches, and then pull them out without committing.  And of course,
>> repository-based branches will have access to many unrelated branches.
>
> And the revisions remain there? Ok, than my impression was wrong.

We could implement a method for deleting the stuff after finding out
that you can't use it right now, but most of the time you are going to
want it again anyway, so we've never worried about it.