How to get the diff between two arbitrary remote revisions?

Jan Hudec bulb at ucw.cz
Thu Nov 17 17:01:06 GMT 2005

On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 17:18:53 -0600, John A Meinel wrote:
> Jan Hudec wrote:
> >> If you commit.  I often do test merges into into Robert's or Martin's
> >> branches, and then pull them out without committing.  And of course,
> >> repository-based branches will have access to many unrelated branches.
> >
> > And the revisions remain there? Ok, than my impression was wrong.
> >

> We could implement a method for deleting the stuff after finding out
> that you can't use it right now, but most of the time you are going to
> want it again anyway, so we've never worried about it.

Sounds reasonable.

In this respect I like the mercurial approach slightly better in that they
don't make these other revisions second class citinzens. They don't make the
'tip' -- bzr 'current revision' so special. Pull is just fetch, there can be
many 'head's (head = revision without descendants) and the checkout can
represent any of them or even non-head, explicitly, by means of update.

Of course their 'branches' are no branches, but rather 'multibranches'. And
I understand it's the reason why these other revisions are second-class
citizens in bzr. I am not sure it actually makes things simpler thoug.

--
						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb at ucw.cz>