win32 fixes (was [BUG] error in HTTPTestUtil.py)

Alexander Belchenko bialix at ukr.net
Sat Oct 29 00:49:28 BST 2005

John A Meinel пишет:
>>$TEMP is not good, but and not bad at all; $APPDATA/bazaar/2.0/bzr.log
>>is very recondite, I think.
>
> On my machine $TMP (not $TEMP) is defined as C:\Documents and
> Settings\jameinel\Local Settings\Temp\
>
> Which to me is actually a good location. It is under "Local Settings"
> which means that it doesn't get backed up with a roaming profile. (And
> it can get big if someone never cleans it up).

On my machine $TEMP have analogue location, but another problem exists.
Rare but important UI problem.

Directory "Local Settings" itself marked as hidden, so for the some
configuration of Windows Explorer (select "Don't display hidden/system
files" in folder options/view and you see) this directory will not be
visible at all in Explorer! User will not reach this directory and
screaming: "Where my 'Local Settings' directory is????!!!! What the dumb
bzr!!!! What the dumb Windows! Bullshit!!!" Et cetera. For 'Aplplication
Data' the same situation: this directory also marked as hidden.

That's why I'm persist in doing configuration on Windows via
configuration utility. Not by hands. At least default way is doing it by
utility, and if user wish and know how -- by hands.

Another way to put bzr.log (or bzrlog.txt if you wish) to 'My Documents'
folder. This folder always under your hands and often this folder is
really pile of everything like contents of ladies' handbag, so... But at
now I don't know really safe method to obtain real location for current
user from Python code. But I think reading of MSDN will help.

Alexander

PS: May be create bzr.log directly in trash folder (aka C:\Recycled)? Of
course it's joke but will be funny ;-)