win32 fixes (was [BUG] error in HTTPTestUtil.py)

John A Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Fri Oct 28 23:39:02 BST 2005

Alexander Belchenko wrote:
> John A Meinel пишет:
>> 13 I merged, but I'm thinking about removing it. I'm not unhappy with
>> it, but it isn't necessarily wrong to wait a little bit for another
>> program to release a lock. And see my other emails about how lock
>> handling needs to be fixed in bzr.
>
> Don't do that, at least now. Without this patch selftest will hang on
> test_pull from blackbox: command "bzr pull ." acquire 2 locks for one
> branch and fall into deadlock. Is this intended behaviour? In 0.1.1 era
> pull have different algorithm, and not create deadlock situation.

Well, I actually worked around that bug for the selftest. But I'll leave
it in until the locking situation gets worked out.

>>> 1. Where we should place .bzr.log file on Windows? I mean where should
>>> be *right* place?
>>
>> I was trying to think about that myself. I'm thinking that $TMP/bzr.log
>> might actually be the best place.
>> Aside from that, I would put it back into $APPDATA/bazaar/2.0/bzr.log
>
> My not-ready-yet-patch #4 place .bzr.log into $USERPROFILE or $HOME
> directory, e.g. C:\Document and Settings\bialix\.bzr.log for default
> Windows installation.

I don't really like putting things there, especially a temporary file
like .bzr.log

> $TEMP is not good, but and not bad at all; $APPDATA/bazaar/2.0/bzr.log
> is very recondite, I think.

On my machine $TMP (not $TEMP) is defined as C:\Documents and
Settings\jameinel\Local Settings\Temp\

Which to me is actually a good location. It is under "Local Settings"
which means that it doesn't get backed up with a roaming profile. (And
it can get big if someone never cleans it up).

Putting it into $APPDATA is okay, and pretty straightforward.

What do other people think about changing the log location to ~/.bazaar/log
instead of the current situation. (We might make it log.txt on windows
so it will open with the default text editor).

> Nevertheless I think it useful to show to user real path to bzr.log
> instead of ~/bzr.log. This fix in my not-ready patch #4, and I polising
> them during this weekend.

I agree that we should show the full path under windows, so that it is
easy to find.

>> On my branch, using cygwin, all tests pass (by avoiding the deadlock for
>> pull).
>
> I'm not fully tested on Cygwin yet. I wish to finish with win32 native.
>
>> Under win32 native, there are still a couple tests that fail. I'm
>> working on other stuff right now, but hopefully I've merged the stuff
>> that you need, so that you at least have a branch to work from.
>
> Thanks!
> I check your branch, remove all merged patches from my page and continue
> my work. New patches I also will do upload to my page with incrementing
> numbers.

You might not want to pull my last 2 changes. I'm playing around with
the path separator, trying to figure out how to make all the internal
code work on urls (with forward slashes), but have the final printing of
*local* files be backward slashes (you don't want backward slashes for
remote files, though inventory and working_tree are currently always local).