Remote Merge

John A Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Fri Oct 28 02:35:22 BST 2005

Martin Pool wrote:
> On 28/10/05, Matthieu Moy <Matthieu.Moy at imag.fr> wrote:
>> I was thinking of pushing to a remote tree with no uncommited changes.
>> You're right, supporting pushing to a modified directory is much
>> harder.
>>
>> The problem I didn't realize is that it's hard to ensure that a remote
>> tree has no local changes.
>>
>> One solution (not very satisfying IMO, but ...) would be to suppose
>> that there have been no uncommited changes, and override them in case
>> there were.
>
> I think we can reasonably detect whether there are any uncommitted
> changes in the remote working directory, and if so refuse to push.
> (Or perhaps give the option to override them.)

How can you do it without having to pull the contents of every remote file?

You could cheat and only pull the contents of files that you are
planning on changing. (similar to how CVS checks for being up-to-date).

> This supports the useful case of using push to update a working
> directory, but keeps us away from ever generating conflicts in remote
> files.

We could also punt and say "you must use rsync to maintain remote
working trees". Certainly they have to have at least sftp to even have
write support.