Remote Merge

Matthieu Moy Matthieu.Moy at imag.fr
Thu Oct 27 21:21:01 BST 2005

John A Meinel <john at arbash-meinel.com> writes:

> That is what the "bzr merge" is for, just before your last commit and
> push. Yes, someone could sneak in a commit in-between. But that is true
> for any scm. (You can't commit unless you are up-to-date).
>
> Now, I'm not sure if "push" as implemented in bzrtools supports trees
> that diverged and have since converged.

It does not.

$ bzr push ../branch/
bzr: ERROR: Local branch is not a newer version of remote branch.

Since it uses rsync to do the push, at the end of the push, the local
and the remote tree *and* archive are identical. But yes, it should
ultimately be able to do that.

> PS> One caveat, bzr push may not update the working tree, since that is
> difficult to do to a remote tree.

How is it more difficult than updating .bzr ? Since you have the
inventory anyway, you have the location of files, it shouldn't be more
difficult than writing inside .bzr.

--
Matthieu