Remote Merge

John A Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Thu Oct 27 20:52:06 BST 2005

Matthieu Moy wrote:
> John A Meinel <john at arbash-meinel.com> writes:
>
>> You probably need to do:
>> bzr branch sftp://my@remote/branch local_branch
>> cd local_branch
>> <hack hack>
>> bzr commit -m "Made some changes"
>> bzr missing # See what is missing locally compared
>> 	    # with the "parent"
>>
>> bzr merge
>> bzr commit -m "[merge] up-to-date with build branch"
>> bzr push
>
> AIUI, bzr push as it is now in bzrtools will work only if the trees
> haven't diverged. So, if someone else did a push between your pull and
> your push, then push will fail.

That is what the "bzr merge" is for, just before your last commit and
push. Yes, someone could sneak in a commit in-between. But that is true
for any scm. (You can't commit unless you are up-to-date).

Now, I'm not sure if "push" as implemented in bzrtools supports trees
that diverged and have since converged. But push as it is ultimately
defined would be capable of that. (It should be identical to "bzr pull"
with the locations reversed).

PS> One caveat, bzr push may not update the working tree, since that is
difficult to do to a remote tree. But it should update all of the
entries inside the .bzr/ tree.
Because of this, I think we should support an alternative branch format,
which does not have a working tree.