Bazaar-NG Traffic #3 Prerelease

John A Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Wed Oct 19 04:06:37 BST 2005

Martin Pool wrote:
> On 19/10/05, James Blackwell <jblack at merconline.com> wrote:
>

>>I'll go with a derivative of Martin's suggestion:
>>
>>* Full name on first mention, always
>>* First name only, when no conflict in that traffic for that name
>>* Full name for both when there is a conflict.
>

> Thanks.
>

>>As a side note, referring to last name is a common convention in the
>>American version of :
>>
>>  * Newspapers
>>  * References in non-fiction
>>  * Graduate Thesis' (Thesii? Thesises?)
>

> Theses.  I don't think an apostrophe is ever used to form a plural
> (but there is probably some exception.)

I believe it might be correct in the form of pluralizing letters. How
many I's does Mississippi have.
That is the only one I know of. However, I know I've taken to using it
when I'm trying to pluralize something that needs to be kept whole.
(Like class names, or something else where the actual name has some sort
of significance). Doesn't mean it is right, but I feel it is helpful
when putting just s could confuse things. (I believe the apple
guidelines say that you should never word things such that you pluralize
a class name, though you have to play tricks to do so.)

> I realize using the last name is the correct formal style in both the
> US and the Commonwealth; my point is just that I don't think these
> summaries need to be as formal as a newspaper or PhD thesis.  Kernel
> Traffic and similar things use the rules you describe.
>
> It would seem excessively familiar for a newspaper to talk of "Alan's
> retirement from the Federal Reserve", but then most of the readers are
> not on first name terms with him.

I can agree that we probably want a less formal traffic, since for now
it is read primarily by people who are on a first name basis.

Perhaps in a couple of years when bzr has taken over the world. :)