Bazaar-NG Traffic #3 Prerelease

Martin Pool martinpool at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 04:01:01 BST 2005

On 19/10/05, James Blackwell <jblack at merconline.com> wrote:

> I'll go with a derivative of Martin's suggestion:
>
> * Full name on first mention, always
> * First name only, when no conflict in that traffic for that name
> * Full name for both when there is a conflict.

Thanks.

> As a side note, referring to last name is a common convention in the
> American version of :
>
>   * Newspapers
>   * References in non-fiction
>   * Graduate Thesis' (Thesii? Thesises?)

Theses.  I don't think an apostrophe is ever used to form a plural
(but there is probably some exception.)

I realize using the last name is the correct formal style in both the
US and the Commonwealth; my point is just that I don't think these
summaries need to be as formal as a newspaper or PhD thesis.  Kernel
Traffic and similar things use the rules you describe.

It would seem excessively familiar for a newspaper to talk of "Alan's
retirement from the Federal Reserve", but then most of the readers are
not on first name terms with him.

--
Martin