bazaar.conf - decisions: for Windows

Alexander Belchenko bialix at ukr.net
Wed Oct 12 10:14:04 BST 2005

John A Meinel пишет:
  > I think there are 2 pieces here. First, the location of where bzr puts
> its control files. And I think that should be:
> $APPDATA/bazaar/2.0/bazaar.conf
> sort of a thing. The above would expand to:
> C:/Documents and Settings/jameinel/Application Data/bazaar/2.0/bazaar.conf

If this control files will be handled via bzr itself or via special
settings utility -- I'm agree.

> However, in the config file, there is discussion of how you mention
> branches by location. So you can supply:
>
> [~/dev/bzr/bzr.dev]
> signatures=require
>
> So where should ~ be expanded to? I think python will expand it to:
> C:/Documents and Settings/jameinel

Sometimes python is not so smart because python read $HOME and when
$HOME is not valid, then os.expanduser("~") is not valid.

> Except in windows, you have USERDIR, and you have HOME. Many times if
> you connect to a windows domain, they will set your HOME to a network
> drive, python might expand it to that if it is available. I haven't
> looked at the entire bug thread.
>
> Because windows is as messy as it is, without a clear definition of what
> "~" should be, I think we shouldn't worry about it. And just advise
> people working on windows to always supply a complete path.
>
> Yes, it means that if they are working under "My Documents" the complete
> path becomes:
> [C:/Documents and Settings/John A Meinel/My Documents/bazaar stuff/bzr.dev]
>
> (I expanded my name, because that is what WinXP will use by default).
> I think it is long and ugly, and that:
> [~/bazaar stuff/bzr.dev]
>
> Is much nicer, but you might be able to do
> [~/My Documents/bazaar stuff/bzr.dev]
>
> Which isn't so bad.

I pour some oil on the flames:

1. On my russian Windows folder "My Documents" actually named: "Мои
Документы" -- it is "My Documents" in russian.
2. Location of "My Documents" folder can be changed by user: if you
righr-click by "My Documents" folder on Desktop and choose "Properties"
you will see some controls that lets to user change location.

I'm often change location because I don't like standard "C:\Documents
and Settings\bialix\Мои Документы" and use sometimes
"D:\user\Документы", sometimes "D:\user\Documents"

I think this facts need to take into consideration for Windows-related
solution.

Alexander