bazaar.conf - decisions: for Windows

John A Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Tue Oct 11 15:48:25 BST 2005

Alexander Belchenko wrote:
> David Allouche wrote:

>>> Under MS Windows, Java maps the user home directory to the user's "My
>>> Documents" directory, which tends to work pretty well.
>

> I don't think this is good idea.
>
>> I have played a bit with Wine this week-end, and it appears that the
>> home directory is defined on win32 by a registry key.
>>
>> Something like "Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\
>> \User Shell Folders\\Personal".
>

> No. It pointed to current "My Documents" folder but not to user home
> directory.
>
>> I'm a win32 illiterate, so you should definitely wait for confirmation
>> from somebody who knows what he's talking about, but I thought a heads
>> up would be useful.
>

> If bzr developers wish to use "My Documents" folder as home directory
> for Windows it must be deliberate decision and it should be mentioned in
> README for Windows users. Usually "My Documents" not used as place to
> store application-specific data, though it can be useful because of
> simply access to this folder for dummy users. Is bzr users will be so
> dummy so they cannot find "C:\Documents and Settings\username\"
> directory by hand or with FAR/Total Commander? I think -- not. But I'm
> not truth in the ultimate authority.

I think there are 2 pieces here. First, the location of where bzr puts
its control files. And I think that should be:
$APPDATA/bazaar/2.0/bazaar.conf
sort of a thing. The above would expand to:
C:/Documents and Settings/jameinel/Application Data/bazaar/2.0/bazaar.conf

However, in the config file, there is discussion of how you mention
branches by location. So you can supply:

[~/dev/bzr/bzr.dev]
signatures=require

So where should ~ be expanded to? I think python will expand it to:
C:/Documents and Settings/jameinel

Except in windows, you have USERDIR, and you have HOME. Many times if
you connect to a windows domain, they will set your HOME to a network
drive, python might expand it to that if it is available. I haven't
looked at the entire bug thread.

Because windows is as messy as it is, without a clear definition of what
"~" should be, I think we shouldn't worry about it. And just advise
people working on windows to always supply a complete path.

Yes, it means that if they are working under "My Documents" the complete
path becomes:
[C:/Documents and Settings/John A Meinel/My Documents/bazaar stuff/bzr.dev]

(I expanded my name, because that is what WinXP will use by default).
I think it is long and ugly, and that:
[~/bazaar stuff/bzr.dev]

Is much nicer, but you might be able to do
[~/My Documents/bazaar stuff/bzr.dev]

Which isn't so bad.