[Fwd: Re: bazaar.conf - decisions]

John A Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Tue Oct 11 04:22:51 BST 2005

Kevin Smith wrote:
> John A Meinel wrote:
>
>>> Robert Collins wrote:
>>>

>>> Since this isn't an absolute path, what is it relative to? Your home
>>> directory? On windows, you don't really have the same concept (I know I
>>> usually work in H:/dev/...
>>> Though my $HOME would be C:/Documents and Settings/jameinel/
>

> Under MS Windows, Java maps the user home directory to the user's "My
> Documents" directory, which tends to work pretty well.
>
> One way or another, it would be nice on both systems to allow absolute
> paths, or paths relative to the "home" directory.
>
> Kevin

Well, if you map the home directory to the place where bazaar.conf lies,
then it should actually map to $APPDATA/bazaar/ or somesuch.

Windows can maps lots of things to different locations. Personally, I
find "My Documents" to be an absolutely horrid place to work since
"os.abspath()" means that your path starts off really long. Rather than
a nice short H:/dev/
Not to mention the path has spaces, and is not something you really want
to ever type.

If people thing having relative paths default to starting at $HOME, I'm
okay with that. We can even have it map to whatever the equivalent is
for My Documents, as I don't know of any better idea. Though I would
tend to say that relative paths aren't really necessary. We could always
support expanding ~ (using os.path.expanduser()), which means that you
could put your path as
[~/source/blah]
which is more obvious (IMHO) than just a
[source/blah]