bzr 0.0.9 & ~/.bzr.conf/editor

Kevin Smith yarcs at qualitycode.com
Sun Oct 2 13:45:07 BST 2005

Jesper Olsen wrote:
> And in the absence of ~/.bzr.conf/editor, why not let vi be the default
> editor?
> I know it's not everyones favorite, but at least it's always there..

It's certainly not always there on MS Windows. Even though vi is on my
Linux system, if it were to suddenly be executed for me, it would take
me several minutes just to figure out how to close it. For people who
don't know vi, it is extremely confusing.

Any "default" editor would need to have visible online help so people
unfamiliar with it wouldn't get stuck. That also rules out emacs. Nano
would be an friendly option, but I'm not sure how widespread it is
outside of gentoo.

But I think we can do better than just bringing up a nice error that
explains exactly how the user can configure their system to use the
editor of their choice. Since we're going interactive at that point
anyway, why not allow them to enter the name of their editor right then,
and offer to save that choice for them (if it worked). Or maybe don't
even ask, and just save it and tell them how to unset it.

Kevin