bzr on Windows

John A Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Tue Sep 27 04:32:07 BST 2005

Alexander Belchenko wrote:

>>> needed
>>>
>>> Yes, it is.
>>

>> I'm not clear here : yes diff3 is needed? Or yes our python diff3 means
>> that external diff3 is not needed ?
>

> I'm don't sure in this moment.
> When I'm remove path to gnu diff from my $PATH environment variable and
> run selftest,
> it will also pass the same 54 tests and fails on test_merge. May be I do
> not reach diff-tests due to the bug in merge?
>
> But bzrlib\diff.py module have function external_diff that will try to
> spawn diff utility, so I'm really not sure in question: is diff utils
> neede or not? But I'm sure that if mentioned function external_diff
> covered by selftest it will fails on Windows on either reasons:
>
> - if user does not have diff utils installed and listed in $PATH variable
> - anyway fails because diff invoked with os.spawnvp function of Python,
> but this function (and all spawn with -p suffix) does not exists on
> Windows.
>
> Alexander

Diff and diff3 should not be explicitly needed. Without any extra work,
bzr should be using the python builtin difflib, and the bzr version of
Merge3. For bzr, we don't really ever do fuzzy patching, so we shouldn't
need patch (the closest we have is 3-way merging).

Now if a user supplies "bzr diff --diff-options 'blah'" then bzr should
invoke the diff executable, and pass it those options.

But we shouldn't depend on diff directly.
Can you give the specific traceback and log file for what is failing for
you with bzr?

I'm getting other failures on windows, but I haven't applied your
patches yet.

Thanks,