please check out weave-format branch

Martin Pool martinpool at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 07:52:21 BST 2005

On 23/09/05, John Arbash Meinel <john at arbash-meinel.com> wrote:

> 5) The new weave format means that all uploads to a remote store are
> going to have to be done atomically rather than using just append. Have
> you looked into a different weave format, which might allow append-only?

Yes, Aaron has (also) designed one, of which he wrote in August:

----------
It's also possible to do append-only weaves.  Trivially, you can just
store the weave itself in a revfile.  I have also done some work on a
natively append-only weave format; you can see my work-so-far here:

http://www.aaronbentley.com/weavediff

So I'm comfortable going with weaves for now since
1. latency trumps throughput most of the time, and weaves are only
somewhat larger than the original files
2. we can do append-only weaves later, if we think it's valuable.

I agree that the robustness of an append-only format is nice, but I
want to get some experience with this basic format while we work on a
more advanced one.

--
Martin