Revenge of the pretty pictures

Aaron Bentley aaron.bentley at utoronto.ca
Thu Sep 22 22:30:37 BST 2005

John Arbash Meinel wrote:

> The only problem I see right now, is that the "title" defaults to the
> label of the node. While I would like to sneak in extra information.
> Also, I don't see any way to make the "title" be more than one line
> ('\n' is printed literally).

Yeah, probably an HTML limitation.  Anyhow, I've added an href attribute
to Node, and set it to '#' by default.

> What I'm thinking is that we might be able to have the graph-ancestry
> command generate the cmap, so you could do:
> bzr graph-ancestry --html=../test.hmtl . ../test.png

We could go fancier and just have graph-ancestry test.html produce the
HTML and the png.

Unfortunately, the antialias-via-svg approach doesn't work, because the
boxes get misaligned.

> I think there is some promise with the cmap. At the very least, we could
> make the "title" parameter be the first line of the commit message. Or
> we could make it something like "bzr log --short".

Yeah, something like that would be nice.

>>'white' is really just 'no-colour', and doesn't mean OTHER merges.
>

> Well, the revisions exist from somewhere, right? So it means that it is
> ancestors of the OTHER tree, since they aren't common, and they aren't THIS.

Who's to say they're not THIS merges?

> I'm also wondering about a definition of THIS versus COMMON. Because if
> the OTHER tree has merged THIS in the past, those are actually common
> revisions.

Yeah, one of the limitations of using colours is that they have
overlapping meanings.  A revision could be THIS and COMMON, or just
COMMON, or just THIS...

> Maybe it makes more sense the way you do it, but on first glance, I feel
> like the red entries are the ones that need to be pulled in if a merge
> is done. But really it is the red entries that are children of the green
> one, right?

I think so.

Aaron