[RFC] New web server for bazaar

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Mon Sep 19 09:18:23 BST 2005

On Mon, 2005-09-19 at 02:26 -0400, James Blackwell wrote:

> I'm not very conversant with the plugin system yet. For all I know, if a
> plugin exists in the right place then bzr is going to start up a webserver
> by default every time the command is run -- even if by root*. If that were
> a case, then all it would take is a simple honest coding mistake to expose
> any file on the filesystem (see the old named conf problem for local
> escalation of filesystem access) or to expose deeper levels of the network
> (see the ancient apache proxy bug).

Yes, a plugin could cause a webserver to be automatically started. I
would consider this distasteful - I wouldn't merge any plugin that did
that into mainline.

I think anything that starts running a service(*) should require a clear
statement requesting that from the user. (I.e. bzr webserver). :0

(*) except for extremely short localhost only services, i.e. the
webserver during our test suite.

Rob