FEATURE REQ: Add BZREDITOR

Harald Meland harald.meland at usit.uio.no
Sat Sep 17 13:34:46 BST 2005

[Jari Aalto]

> Harald Meland <harald.meland at usit.uio.no> writes:
>
> | [Jari Aalto]
> |
> | > I'd like to use quick editor for changes, so another variable than my
> | > default $EDITOR (which I prefer longer texts). Please check
> | > environment variable
> | >
> | >         $BZREDITOR
> | >
> | > If the it is not defined, revert to $EDITOR
> |
> | I can see the need for using a separate editor for bzr, but don't see
> | how it's necessary having two separate mechanisms (both
> | .bzr.conf/editor and $BZREDITOR) for configuring this.
>
> See my previous posts, the issues are much simpler to copy with
> environment variable that writing, updating, synchronizing additional
> files.

I have seen your previous posts.

I just don't understand why you're so averse to moving the
shell-script logic you apparently envision for setting BZREDITOR from
a shell-generic initialization file to a bzr-specific script.

Neither the answer you gave above nor anything I've read in your other
posts have managed to give me an understanding of why you insist on
having bzr itself respect yet another environment variable.

(OTOH, I'm not really qualified to say that it indeed *is* a good idea
to allow .bzr.conf/editor to be executable; I just thought I'd mention
the idea.)
--
Harald