FEATURE REQ: Add option --dry-run to 'add'

John A Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Wed Sep 14 11:50:02 BST 2005

Jari Aalto wrote:
> Use case:
>
>     You're about to import 200 files with subdirectories
>     You think, you have configured ./.bzrignore correctly
>     ... but you have doubts that after 'add' it imports
>     ... files that you don't want
>
> You stare the prompt:
>
>     $ bzr add *

By the way, bzr *will* add an "ignored" file if you explicitly request
it. In your case, the * will likely add CVS (though not .svn). The bzr
convention is to do:

bzr add
or
bzr add .

Since an add by default is recursive this adds everything without
worrying about accidently specifying something that you want ignored.

> And you've no courage to press that red-red-hot RETURN key....
> I wish there were --dry-run option.

As it runs, it will tell you what is being added, so you can just
bzr remove <filename>
And it should be clean before you commit.