FEATURE REQ: group common commands under 'ls' instead of separate commands

Jan Hudec bulb at ucw.cz
Mon Sep 12 08:33:13 BST 2005

On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 09:17:15 +0300, Jari Aalto wrote:
> Now the separate commands scattered inside the manual were not easy to
> find or understand. Especially when the terminology is different from
> CVS/SVN. E.g. what's inventory? (I was used to term "repository").

"inventory" is the list of all files in the working copy, classified
according to whether they are versioned or not.

"repository" is the storage of history.

As you see, these terms are mostly unrelated.

> While someone voted "list", I'd still favor "ls", because it would be
> more familiar to people coming from other version control tools (Unix
> background & SVN). It's also fast to type and needs no alias.

svn list/svn ls is a different thing. It lists the repository, NOT the
working copy. status lists _changes_ to working copy in both svn and
bzr. Subversion is not able to list the state of working copy, while bzr
uses inventory for that (though I now think merging it into status would
make sense).

--
						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb at ucw.cz>