FEATURE REQ: add gloval option -v and --verbose

Jari Aalto jari.aalto at cante.net
Sat Sep 10 22:48:07 BST 2005

John A Meinel <john at arbash-meinel.com> writes:

| Jari Aalto wrote:
| >    $ bzr --verbose add this.txt
| >    bzr:  going to add this.txt
| >    bzr: nope, it's already versioned
| >    $
| >
| >    "<lamp shining inside head>. Yes!"
|
| You might look into the logging code. Since most times you have that
| level of verbosity in ~/.bzr.log

Having the need to read for separate file is not really substitute for
the verbose switch.

    do something
    <ahem: cat, tail, less the log file>
    do another
    <ahem: cat, tail, less the log file>

In contrast to more simpler:

   do something (verbose)
   do something (verbose)

| Or at the very least, we could look into how we handle logging levels,
| and be able to supply command options (possibly global) to change the
| visual logging level, and ~/.bzr.log logging level.

If the level of verbosity could be controlled, all the better:

   --verbose 2
   -v 2

or just

   -v  (defaults to 1)

| By the way, if we are changing the default config directory to
| ~/.bazaar, shouldn't we also change the log file to ~/.bazaar/log?
| Possibly switching to something else if ~/.bazaar does not exist. (So
| that you can debug problems with the config directory)

Sounds like a good plan. While I'd rather would follow the idea of
"directories" and would prefer:

  ~/.bzr.d/

Just like Emacs uses:

  ~/.emacs.d/

Perhaps the directory name could be made configurable via environment
variable BZRHOME?

Jari