Authenticated Proxy support

Anand Pillai abpillai at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 09:21:30 BST 2005

HarvestMan too does not store your username/password in cleartext.
In HarvestMan everything is specified in a config.xml file as PCDATA
or attributes of elements which dictate the configuration.

   HarvestMan uses a simple cyclic XOR obfuscation (not encryption)
combined with hexing to store the proxy server ip/name, proxy username
and proxy password to provide a simple kind of security.

 For example if your proxy information is as follows,

proxy server : proxy.mycompany.com
username: alice
password: bob

Inside the config.xml file HarvestMan converts them to the following

proxy server: 02701f671e305d2447284535543a436d0e610c
username: 0d61086b0e
password: 0d6200

Clearly this looks like junk to the less skilled hacker. However, it
can be cracked in less than a minute if u know what is happening ;-)

-Anand

--
Anand B Pillai,
Senior Technical Analyst,