Authenticated Proxy support

Matthieu Moy Matthieu.Moy at imag.fr
Thu Sep 1 09:07:44 BST 2005

Martin Pool <martinpool at gmail.com> writes:

> On 9/1/05, Dhruva Krishnamurthy (RBIN/EDI3) *
> <Dhruva.Krishnamurthy at in.bosch.com> wrote:
>
>>         I have faced big problems in trying to contribute to FSF/GNU
>> projects (Emacs) as the version control they use (CVS/GNU Arch) does not
>> support accessing remote repositories through authenticated proxy servers. I
>> was wondering if Bazaar-NG has overcome this limitation.

I have a patch for authenticated proxy via ~/.authinfo in my archive
for tla.

Bazaar 1.4 supports this without patching.

> Hi Dhruva,
>
> It looks like the urlgrabber module used by bzr will already support
> proxy authentication, if you just set the environment variable
> http_proxy=http://user:pass@proxy/

Nice, however, it would be nice to have another way to specify the
password. I really don't like having passwords in environment
variables.

My implementation with a ~/.authinfo in Bazaar is slightly more
secure. Your password still appears in cleartext, but only in one
file. Ideally, it would be an agent like ssh-agent, keeping my
password secure when I'm not logged in.

--
Matthieu