rfc: remove "revision specs"

Jan Hudec bulb at ucw.cz
Thu Sep 1 18:44:09 BST 2005

On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 08:32:00 +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-08-31 at 09:59 +0200, Matthieu Moy wrote:
> > Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net> writes:

> > > bzr:///home/foo/bar <- if by that you mean a bzr branch on the local
> > > file system, the relevant url scheme is 'file:' ->
> >
> > Yes, but then, the fact that you want to access it as a bzr branch
> > doesn't appear in the URL. If I write file:///home/foo/bar then I'm
> > thinking "the directory /home/foo/bar", and an automatic tool (my
> > mailer/a gnome terminal/...) that would hyperlink it would only be
> > able to open something like a file manager.
>
> This is true. On the other hand, using a literal file:// or http:// or
> sftp:// resource means that my existing tools, which will let me copy,
> delete, commit (with nautilus plugins), rename the branch will be
> loaded.

The plain file/http/... is appropriate iff the resource can be reasonably
accessed by normal ("dumb fs") client for that protocol.

That said I start to think that file:// and http:// and sftp:// are
appropriate, but the later two only if they don't use special server.

Ie.  http is appropriate if normal GET is used to obtain the data files, but
if a special POST to bazaar-specific CGI is used, the scheme should be
bzr+http. Similarly if standard sftp server is used, sftp is appropriate, but
if it actually spawns bzr over ssh, it should be bzr+ssh scheme.

--
						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb at ucw.cz>