bzr add

Michael Ellerman michael at ellerman.id.au
Wed Aug 24 14:56:41 BST 2005

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 19:58, William Dode wrote:
> On 24-08-2005, Michael Ellerman wrote:

> > And so you never need to call 'bzr add directory' directly. Which means
> > if = you=20
> > *do* run 'bzr add directory' the only useful thing for it to mean is
> > 'add=20 that directory and all the files under it'.
>
> It's the same with 'rm', when you whant to delete a directory you generaly
> want to remove all the files inside. But you still need to specify -r.

Yeah but that's a special case because it's destructive, and non-reversible.
'bzr add' on the other hand is entirely reversible, if you match it with a
'bzr remove' it's a no-op.

So the trade-off is that most of the time add does what's most useful, and in
the rare case that someone wants to add a directory but NOT it's contents
they can quite easily correct their mistake.

> I'm agree with your argumentation but like bzr move and rename, we don't
> use such a behaviour in an unix environment imho. It's why i also think
> it could be better to say bzr add -r or bzr addall or ...

I'm not sure what move and rename do, they don't bother me so much as they're
not really on the critical path for new users of bzr.

And really, if we wanted to follow UNIX tradition to the letter we'd have to
implement each bzr command as a seperate *C* program, and join it all
together with pipes. And no output unless there's an error! Although I do
agree with your point that *in general* precedent is important.

cheers

--
Michael Ellerman
IBM OzLabs

email: michael:ellerman.id.au
inmsg: mpe:jabber.org
wwweb: http://michael.ellerman.id.au
phone: +61 2 6212 1183 (tie line 70 21183)

We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors,
we borrow it from our children. - S.M.A.R.T Person