[MERGE REQUEST] merge work

Erik Bågfors zindar at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 19:11:35 BST 2005

> Your commands look correct. I should have prefixed this with "I don't
> believe this has been fully implemented yet".

Ahh... ok

> Right now "bzr pull" only pays attention to having the end of a matching
> section of revision-history be the same. (Meaning take the 2 histories,
> whichever one is shorter that revno should be the same in both histories).
>
> *Right now* there is no way to merge a branch so that you can get back
> to "bzr pull" working.
>
> I was discussing more the "design" of the system.
> It really shouldn't be that hard to make it work, it is just an issue of
> making 'bzr pull' a little bit smarter about what is okay to pull.
> Basically, instead of checking to see if the last equivalent
> revision-history entry is the same, it should check to see if the first
> new revision has the current revision as a parent.
>
> It seems easy enough to implement if this is important for you. I think
> it would make some of the bzr-mainline development easier.

Well, I'm thinking about getting some collegues interested in bzr. We
are moving away from cvs for obvious reasons and need to get something
else NOW, therefor subversion was selected.  If I can get some of them
to try/use/like bzr I think we will switch soon :).

I was thinking of mirroring some of our repositories in bzr for people
that's on the road alot :)

> Sorry about not having it implemented yet. I think the current work is
> being done to make sure that "bzr merge" works correctly under all
> cases, and creates the correct entries for the ancestry so that the
> future "bzr pull" can just work.

Seems like the right approach. Just wanted to understand things.....

Regards,
Erik