GUI for bazaar-ng

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Sat Jul 9 03:59:06 BST 2005

On  8 Jul 2005, John A Meinel <john at arbash-meinel.com> wrote:
> Hey everyone, I thought I would start a thread to get some ideas of what
> people would like in a GUI for bzr. What other gui's they have liked,
> what are the specific features, and how does that apply to something
> like bzr.

I'd like to get emacs and vim plugins to a better state; for some users
that's more useful than a GUI.

There seem to be two main dimensions: history, and working copies.  I
think some GUIs fail by being too strongly oriented towards one or the
other; for example many CVS viewers are tightly oriented towards the
working copy but often the history is more in need of a graphical
display.

Operations on the working copy include diffing against history or
against another branch or some point in time; committing; etc.

History can be shown as some kind of branching graph.  One might want to
see only the history touching a particular file; or to show the section
of history since two branches or two files diverged.

It would be nice if there were a quick way to search the history for the
last commit containing a string.

> Have people used Octopy, Liked/Disliked it? (I used it a little bit a
> while ago, but it wasn't very stable to get a good feel for it's workflow)

I used it only a little.

I think a useful thing for the GUI to do is illuminate the underlying
model of the system; that is to say we hope that GUIs will be more
learnable than command lines tools but it seems many vc guis are not.
Rather than assume you already understand the command line tools.

> I think it would be pretty easy to do something in wxPython, but that is
> just my preferred gui toolkit.

Whatever we choose I'd hope it was something available for all
platforms; which seems to mean wxPython or gtkpython.

--
Martin