bzrweb with extra rss crack

John A Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Thu Jul 7 09:02:30 BST 2005

Martin Pool wrote:

>On  6 Jul 2005, Chris McCormick <chris at mccormick.cx> wrote:
>

>>>If you work on it at all, might I recommend that you actually hide older
>>>versions past say 100 revisions. Rather than just compacting them?
>>>I'm not sure what your design is, but right now with 691 revisions, the
>>>web-page becomes 700k in size. Which seems rather large.
>>>

>>Great idea. I used to have pagination code for this reason in there but
>>took it out as someone thought it was ugly. But 700k for a single page
>>is ridiculous so I'll put back in some kind of pagination.
>>

>Mercurial uses a very nice kind of log scale for its web interface;
>maybe we could adopt that.
>
>  http://www.selenic.com/hg

I would say the interface is pretty un-intuitive. I figured it out, but
it sure looks like ranges rather than saying just +/- that many patches.

I can't say what would be best, just that because the length of the list
changes, it isn't obvious what it means. Perhaps something more along
the lines of:
(0) -300 -100 -30 -10 +10 +30 +100 +300 tip

Where all entries are always shown, just some of them are not
hyperlinked. I'm also a bigger fan of the 10,20,50 system, or maybe just
plain
(0) -500 -100 -50 -10 +10 +50 +100 +500 tip

I suppose the 30s make it so that 3 clicks take you up to the next level...

To clarify, the problem with the basic display, is that it looks like
you are navigating to the range 0-300 or 300-100 or 100-30 or 30-10, if
you hadn't mentioned the logarithmic scale, I probably wouldn't have
figured it out.