Two little things (Mainly win32 related)

Aaron Bentley aaron.bentley at utoronto.ca
Thu Jun 9 23:48:57 BST 2005

Roncaglia Julien wrote:
>>If you want to prevent people from accidentally adding ignored files,
>>that's reasonable.  But don't do it in such a way that people can't
>>deliberately add ignored files.
>

> The solution of adding manualy the file without using glob will always
> add it.

It looked as though your patch would not distinguish between
glob-expanded names and user-specified names.  If I misread, my apologies.

> As said in my answer to John this is mainly a design problem where a
> choice will be needed between :
>  - Having no difference in behavior between unix and win32
>  - Or having difference when needed to be consistent with the OS

My immediate thought is:

Windows users tend to use GUIs.  If bzr comes up with a reasonable GUI,
then hardly anyone will use the commandline on Windows, and so nearly
all the bzr experts will be familiar with the unix behavior.  So it
would make sense to minimize the differences, if Windows is a minority
platform.

>>On the other hand, it would be rather strange if "bzr add foo.pyc"
>>worked, and "bzr add *.pyc" did not.
>

> The invert is also true, i don't know if "*.*" is used frequently under
> unix (i dont think because files without extension are common)

I don't do that often on Unix.  IIRC, *.* will match a file without an
extension on Windows, but it does not in common Unix shells.

> but
> windows users will (in my opinion) expect thoses two commands to be the
> same (Considering that there is no files without extensions inside
> some_directory):
>
> bzr add some_directory\
> bzr add some_directory\*.*

I've used Windows a long time, and I certainly wouldn't expect them to
be the same.  I would expect "add some_directory" to add only the
directory, not the files under it. On Unix, "bzr add *" would not add
hidden files and directories, while "bzr add ." will add hidden files
and directories.  So they really are different things.

Aaron