[announce] bzrweb seems a bit finished

John A Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Wed Jun 1 04:08:33 BST 2005

Chris McCormick wrote:

>On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 10:30:06AM -0500, John A Meinel wrote:
>

>>Chris McCormick wrote:

>>>I've fixed this and a couple of other bugs, and merged Lalo's server +
>>>rst patches. Unfortunately it's broken against the latest pull of bzr.dev
>>>from Martin. I guess I'll get onto that.
>>>

>>I would still like to see the currently selected entry have a
>>[diff vs <prev>]. But generally it looks good.
>>

>You're right of course. I've fixed this.
>
>Bzrweb is working against the latest bzr.dev as well, however I think
>there may be some issues with locking files not owned by the Apache
>user again because the lock_mode argument was removed from the Branch
>constructor. So if people can't run Apache as a user who has write
>access to their bzrweb shared bzr repositories (or more specifically the
>branch-lock file), then I suggest they run bzrwebserver.py on a high
>port as the user who owns their bzr repository, and do some kind of
>apache proxying.

The locking is now done explicitly by every command that needs a lock,
rather than being done in the constructor. So now there is the
Branch.lock_read() and Branch.lock_write() functions. Which you can call
explicitly, just make sure you call it unlock. (The whole thing should
probably be done in a try/finally block).

>There is tons of documentation on the net about using mod_rewrite,
>mod_redirect, and/or mod_proxy to run Zope behind Apache, and all of
>this applies to bzrweb.
>
>Your repository is no longer locked if you are running bzrwebserver.

Actually, I'm guessing it might still lock, just only for the necessary
duration of a command. I could be wrong, though.