tags in bzr

Erik Bågfors zindar at gmail.com
Thu May 12 19:57:43 BST 2005

Hi

It looks like we (at my work) will move from cvs to svn. This is a
micro move but nobody can stand arch right now (not even in
bazaar-form.. sorry) and there is nothing better out there... yet!

It seams like everyone is waiting for bazaar-ng :)

Anyway, tag:s are none-existant in svn. At least the way we want them.

I want a tag to be a named revision. Reading trough tagging.txt, the
"tags within a branch" is pretty much what I want. So... I don't like
reading the "(This is probably "crack"; I don't think we'll do
this.)"-line.

Basically if I do "bzr log" I want to see the following

revno: 280
tag: 0.0.4pre
committer: Martin Pool <mbp at sourcefrog.net>
timestamp: Fri 2005-04-22 11:40:26 +1000
message:
  Prepare for 0.0.4 release

and then I want to be able to do
bzr get -r 0.0.4pre http://.......        or maybe it's better to do:
bzr get --tag 0.0.4pre http://......

as well as
bzr merge -r 0.0.4pre http://.... (or, however the final syntax will be)

This is basically how darcs works also.

So.. what do you all think? If you want it the same way as I do, I
might be willing to implement it even.  It's quite an important
feature for us.

/Erik