Arch/Baz import script

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Tue May 3 01:54:25 BST 2005

On 30 Apr 2005, Erik B?gfors <zindar at gmail.com> wrote:

> > 3. is important, because it's conceivable that more than one approach
> > could be taken to importing Arch revisions.  If it were omitted, it
> > would be impossible to distinguish between two bzr branches derived from
> > the same Arch branch, but with different contents/metadata due to a
> > different import algorithm.
>
> This kind of thinking is great.  How can this apply to cvs and/or svn?
>  The whole thing with IDs are alot different.
>
> Basically what I want to know if if two different bzr branches of
> something that comes from cvs/svn can be distinguished between.

The best way is to avoid the problem and do the import only once.
Other people at Canonical are working on importing all CVS open source
trees into Bazaar and later Bazaar-NG; that will let you easily find
the right branch without needing to do the import.

Of course some kind of import is needed for proprietary code or
anything that's not picked up by them, and that algorithm should
follow the principles Aaron gives in assigning IDs.

--
Martin