git and bzr

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Mon May 2 03:38:13 BST 2005

On Sat, 2005-04-30 at 08:30 -0400, Sean Russell wrote:
> On Friday 29 April 2005 20:31, Erik Bågfors wrote:
> > > We can't check out?
> >
> > Nope, that's rsync for now :)
>
> Hm.  So, what's the difference?   Practically, if not functionally?  What I
> mean is, isn't a bzr co going to end up being an rsync in the end anyway?
> However, I wasn't aware that the 'co' command hadn't been implemented yet.  I
> assume that it isn't going to use the same mechanism as update, which will
> have to be eventually able to handle cherry-picking.

The command that copies a whole tree ('branch' or 'clone' or whatever)
will probably work pretty much the same way.  Indeed since rsync is so
much faster than http for this work it may give you the option of
calling out to rsync::

  bzr clone rsync://bazaar-ng.org/bzr/bzr.dev

This can do some checking that e.g. you're not going to overwrite local
work, and then run rsync.  Indeed you could even do a merge from a
remote branch fetched via rsync by rsyncing to a temporary directory and
then merging from that.

Another thing to add is a way to branch from a previous revision, rather
than from the head.

--
Martin