bazaar-ng copyright policy

QuantumG qg at biodome.org
Fri Apr 22 00:57:42 BST 2005

Mark Shuttleworth wrote:

>Yes, and I'm happy to accept gpg-signed-mail rather than a paper trail.
>All it needs to say is that the code you are contributing is yours to
>contribute, and that you are happy for Canonical to share copyright and
>defend your copyright.

Perhaps a template email would be helpful.

I personally had a bad experience with copyright assignment
(http://rtfm.insomnia.org/~qg/planeshift.html) but in that case the
people asking for copyright assignment were amatures and had already
demonstrated that they had no intention to honour the license once they
received copyright ownership.  The situation with Canonical is obviously
different but perhaps contributors would feel more at ease if a
condition of their copyright assignment was that if Canonical wants to
license the software under a non-OSI approved license they require
permission from the original author.

Trent